Wednesday, February 1, 2012

One Saturday afternoon

So here is the question for you.  If you give a sleep deprived mommy with some crazy Chinese herbs (soup), what do you think will happen?  The answer is...a sick mommy!  I came down with the flu three weeks ago and it took forever for me to get better.  I am sick, but a bit better.  My cough just won't go away.  And of course, when one gets sick, everyone gets sick in the family.  First is Ali, then Nate.  Thank goodness, hubby stays strong and he is still okay.

The weekend Ali was sick, there was lots of snow.  That morning, my MIL called and wanted help fixing her computer.  My mom usually go hiking on Saturday.  Since the snowfall warning is still in effect, silly mommy thought it would be a good idea for daddy to go to fix the computer in the daytime.  This turned out to be one of the most horrible mommy experience I ever had.  Lesson learned?  Do not leave a sick mommy with two kids.

Daddy went out to shovel snow after putting the girl to bed.  I was holding the baby.  As soon as daddy stepped out the door, I heard the girl crying in her room.  In panic mode, I ran downstairs with the baby trying to stop her daddy.  As soon as I opened the door, I saw the garage door coming down.  I waved hysterically, trying to catch his attention.  Failed.  I quickly went back upstairs to call him to come back, but his line was busy.   The girl was crying bloody murder at this time, so I put baby in the crib and went to Ali's room.

After she has calmed down, I heard baby crying in his room.  Fantastic.  As I was about to leave Ali's room, she started crying.  Okay great.  So I strapped Nate in the baby carrier and sat in Ali's room.  Baby started to fuss.  I had to stand up and rock him to sleep.  Apparently, Ali thought it was amusing to see mommy move around in the room and refused to sleep.  Bloody hell.  After Nate fell asleep, I sat on the floor (thank God for the foam mats!) pretended to be asleep so Ali could sleep too.  Crap, the heat of the baby triggered my cough.  And of course that woke her up.  After it seemed like an eternity, she finally fell asleep.  Then baby started to fuss - crap, it's feeding time.  I tried to sneak out, but failed.  Ali was awake and started crying again.

What can a sick mommy do at this point?  I am thankful that my girl is usually pretty reasonable.  At least she was willing to let me feed the baby in a different room.  After the feed, I went back and an eternity later, Ali finally fell asleep.  Daddy came to rescue an hour later (I swear it felt like 5 hours).  Bottom line?  Tough to be sick.  Really tough when you are sick and had to take care of a sick toddler.  Mission impossible kind of tough when you have two children.  So how do people take care of 3 or 4 kids?  I hope it is something I will never find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment