Thursday, December 30, 2010

Holiday cooking and crafting

Christmas is the time to do some serious baking!  We need to bring something to Ali's school for their Christmas party, so I have decided to make some healthy and yummy banana bran mini-muffins for her class. It turned out pretty good and Ali seemed to quite enjoy them as well.


Of course the parents won't enjoy the muffins.  Come on, it's Christmas!  So I made them some orange and chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting instead.  Yum!!!!

The next day we were invited to our friends' for another Xmas party.  This time I want to make mango pudding.  I have to say it is pretty damn good, maybe a little bit too sweet, but in general, not bad at all.


We liked it so much that we decided to save a small piece for ourselves.  From this angle, it looks like a piece of tofu.



My first time making a cowl and mittens.  One of my colleagues is a crazy knitter and she taught a whole bunch of us how to make them.  We found them super cute and I wanted to make one for Ali's kai-mama.  She is also a crazy knitter and hopefully, she won't feel too ashamed wearing this.  Just don't look at it too closely, okay?


My godchildren adores Sammy the cat.  Every time we phoned they get really excited talking to the cat (we pretend to be Sam).  So for Christmas, I wanted to make the two cuties a black cat doll and since I am making them one, I might as well make one for Ali too for Christmas!  Now, all my kiddies have one!!!  

While I was making them, I was cursing the whole time.  My hubby kept on asking me why did I even bother with them and just go and buy them a gift instead.  My answer to him is...I never ever handmade anything for the two and I just feel so guilty!!  So here are the kitty cats...this might be the only handmade gift the two will ever get!

To my beautiful godchildren:  Don't look at your cats too closely and don't ask mommy why there is a thread here and there and why the stitches are uneven.  It is a gift of labour, a gift of love.  Your kai mama, kai baba and kai mui mui Ali loves you two very, very much!!!  Just remember, it is Sammy approved!!!


Side note:  It so turned out that their wonderful crafty mom has already made one for Kiki.  Dang!!!  All this hard work and sweat and tears for nothing!!!!  From now on, I got to remember to ask their mom before I get them anything.  (And I always ask her before I get them stuff.  This is the first time I didn't ask her!  Ugh!!!)  Merry Xmas kiddies!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. You know they love the cats and they love the outfits! Kira didn't even make the connection that she has the same cat. The different face you put on your cat makes a big difference. Gives it lots of character.

    As to looking at the knitted goods closely... well, after very very close inspection, I have to say that I am after all... what's the word... puzzled. Why are there stickers on the buttons that says 275? Wait, don't answer that. Let me catch my breath first. Laughing too hard.... Seriously, I do love them. Wore them out on date day today. Super warm and fuzzy.

    Thanks for all the thoughtful gifts. Oh, and the kids love the Ali calendar. They kept taking turns reading it and identifying various people. Kira gets very excited when she finds herself in them. Hayden kept insisting that a lot of the pictures of Ali is actually pictures of himself. He is especially fond of pumpkin Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T, you will need to show me how to knit and make the kittys! I love the new layout here too

    I wish you and your family a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, no problem Mabel! I am glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Y, mmm...I totally forgot to take off those stickers. Damn it. I am happy to hear that they like the outfits. Initially, I wasn't planning to make the outfits, but I need to distract the kids from looking at the uneven stitches. I am glad it turned out alright.

    And did you give B the box of choco? You better!

    ReplyDelete